Monopoly Junior

Since Easter, I've been playing Monopoly Junior every day with my daughter. She's almost four years old and she's already into one of my favorite board game of all time, Monopoly (well, a kid version of it). I'm always fascinated by my kids and the speed at with they can get the grasp on something new. After three or four game, she knew all the main attraction on the board and was hoping to put a kiosk on it. The notion of money is a little bit more difficult to assimilate at this age but I think its better this way for the moment!

What matters at this age is more the color of things Following that rule, she will always prefer purple instead of yellow and if I land on the unoccupied balloon stand, she will try to trade her helicopter stand for my balloon stand immediately!



The reason why this kid version of monopoly is so easy to play with my daughter is because they removed a lot of decision taking (which is difficult at this age believe me). For example, if you land on a spot that don’t belong to anyone, you have to buy it.

Also, if you land on the modified version of the jail of the classic monopoly game, you don’t have to pass your turn. Monopoly Junior railroads are simply a “Throw the dice again” instead of a more complicated calculation based on how many railroad you own.

When you land on someone else monopoly property, you simply pay the price written on the board. If you own all property of the same color, then you multiply the price by two. So, it’s simple mathematics and simple rules really.


The Junior Monopoly I played is based on the theme of an amusement park. All properties are related to that theme. For example, you have the monopoly junior Haunted House, the Roller Coaster, the Balloon Stand, the Water Slides, the Ferris Wheel… The game board of monopoly junior has a lot of attractive drawings to represent the various monopoly properties.

You can play with three other kid (or adult) , everybody uses a different color to identify their self and the property they own on the monopoly board (another good simplification in Monopoly Junior).


In my next post, I will talk a little bit more on the monopoly junior Chance card and explain how kids can learn a little monopoly strategy.

Comments

VeggieT said…
Good post, I am currently working on a computer simulator for monopoly type games, and so this was very useful. I'd be interested in a full list of chance cards for monopoly Junior
firstshop said…
Thanks for sharing the information. It helps me a lot. The students could learn more about the Board Games Online! for learning how to take decision and help in also real life.

Popular posts from this blog

clue board game strategy

how do you play clue the board game

clue game arena