Blokus strategies



My first strategy at Blokus is the "Get rid of the bigger pieces at the begining" strategy, but that, I already mentioned it in my previous Blokus blog post about Blokus strategy. This approach is probably your safest way to get rid of a maximum of Blokus squares but you also need to know where to lay them down on the Blokus board.

So, my second strategy at the game of Blokus would be "Race for Blokus board center" wich consist of moving towards the center and my opponent has fast as possible. Why is that? Well, you want to be in a situation where you will have plenty of room to place you pieces later on. Let me illustrate what I'm writing about. In this picture, you can see the Blokus board with two opponents. The red one decided to go straight south while the blue Blokus opponent went straight to the center of the grid. It's early in the game but still, I can see a clear advantage for the blue player. The green curve shows where I would lay down my next blokus squares and that lead me to my third blokus strategy, the "blokus block strategy".

The "Blokus block strategy" consist of making sure your opponent wont be able to go through your walls. In the previous strategy, the green curve kind of represent where I would build my Blokus walls next. Let's check out a small portion of the Blokus's board grid to setup a good and a bad way to place the pieces to prevent an opponent's intrusion through your walls.

So if you look at the picture, I've shown two ways to place a five square piece that look like a "U". In the first situation on the right, you can see that the red player is trying to much to go around the blue player and he places it in a way that is opponent won't have any difficulty running trough the red player's barricades! On the left side of the Blokus game board, you see a much better way of protecting your ground. With this setup, the blue player would need a one square piece to go through. There's only one blokus piece that would let you in with this way of laying down the squares. On the other hand (the example on the left), any Blokus piece could be place to go through the red wall. So, if you manage to reproduce this Blokus block strategy at two, three or more places on the board, your opponent will soon be trapped and confined on his side of the fence! This blokus tactic with the "Race for Blokus board center" strategy should improve your overall score at Blokus.

In my next post, I will share more Blokus strategy. To give you an idea of it, think about this: Is it always the good choice to put all five square Blokus pieces first? The answer... NO!

Blokus basic strategy
Learn how to play the board game Blokus.
Start to play with good basic strategies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

clue board game strategy

how do you play clue the board game

clue game arena